September 17 — October 8
This 24-hour course meets four (4) consecutive Sundays from Noon — 6 pm and covers all of the basic information that must be addressed in understanding self-defense. This course is appropriate for adults of all ages, genders, and levels of experience.
We will cover:
1) Violence Dynamics: What are the different types of violence? How, when, and why does violence occur?
2) Legal/Ethical: Self defense law and personal ethical decisions regarding self-defense.
3) Avoidance, Escape, and De-escalation: How to avoid a violent encounter
4) Counter Ambush: Reflex conditioning to act when a violent encounter occurs
5) Breaking the Freeze: What are the different types of freezes, and how can we break them?
6) The Fight Itself: Play-based partner drills to develop fighting ability
7) Aftermath: Medical, legal, and psychological issues to be addressed following a violent encounter
Our curriculum is founded on the Chiron Training program developed by Rory Miller, author of Facing Violence. Our faculty continues to work directly with Rory in the development of this course. chirontraining.com/
We believe this to be the most complete introductory self defense program available. While many self defense programs focus on specific physical techniques, our program is principles and experiential based, a training method that is much more practical should a physical confrontation occur. More importantly, we will focus on all of the elements of self defense, especially avoiding a physical confrontation all together. The curriculum and exercises will not just make us safer, but will benefit us in our daily lives. For more info give us a call or check out one of our donation based introductory sessions on August 13 or 27.
Full Course: $350 Early bird discount: 10% if signed up by August 31. Soja Member discount: 10% off
The teachers at Soja believe strongly that everybody should have access to a world-class self-defense curriculum. To that end, Soja offers a limited number of sliding scale workshop possibilities, based on financial need. Contact the office for details at [email protected]
for partial scholarships.